1:1s needs cognitive agility;
Start positive, sharing a win;
Need some structure but not too much;
Balance asking and answering questions;
Ask about career plans;
- Begin each meeting by sharing a win. It creates positive energy.
- Notify your employee in advance if you plan to touch on professional development — those conversations require reflection and thought.
- Be curious. Listen to your colleague’s concerns and provide feedback and ideas on how she might solve problems.
- Cancel. Demonstrate to your employee that he takes priority by arriving on time.
- Be rigid. While it’s wise to have an agenda, it’s also important to be flexible.
- Forget to say “thank you.” It’s important to show your colleague that you value him.